Re: [News] Linux on the Visor?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux on the Visor?
  • From: arachnid <none@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:01:51 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:39:00 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On 15 Oct 2006 22:55:45 -0700, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Linux coming to a Visor near you?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| In part 2 of Mike Cane's Internet report he speculated on | the
>>possibility of a Linux Springboard module for the | Visor. Hawkins let
>>slip that "a Springboard module can | be used to override the PalmOS
>>within the Visor".
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/179/linux-coming-to-a-visor-near-you/
>
> A visor?  They still make those?

Nope, but I've been stocking up on used ones before they become impossible
to find. I like to load my visor up with games and ebooks and usually a
scanned and converted version of my trail guide, and take them on my long
hikes. Unlike "modern" PDA's they take AA batteries. Also the monochrome
screen is light on battery power if you leave the backlight off (A LED
lamp is more efficient than the backlight for reading the PDA in the
dark). The Visor doesn't have much memory but you can find old pitech
modules that take compactflash. CF uses up a lot of current when the PDA
is on so I use it like one would an external HD.

I haven't found any other PDA that's as suitable as the old Visor for this
kind of use. A lot of hikers have taken my advice and bought a used one,
and were very happy with it.

I once investigated using rechargeable batteries and a solar panel.
However the longest I sit in one place during the day is a half-hour break
for lunch (my legs work best with a lot of short breaks instead of a few
long ones). I tried mounting a panel to the pack but it didn't work too
well - to get any real current you need to keep the panel aimed at the sun.