Re: Just to show what cn be done

__/ [ kevin bailey ] on Thursday 12 October 2006 14:29 \__

> Hi People,
>
> I've put together an online word checker purely from OS tools.
>
> http://www.wordcheck.net
>
> It has only taken a couple of days and does not involve a single license
> cost.
>
> Just goes to show that by combining OS technologies that are available it
> is possible to build some neat applications.
>
> BTW - It also works well from PDA's and mobile phones due to it being
> designed for a small screen size.

Much faster and cleaner than http://www.dict.org/ .

As another example, WordPress (GPL-licensed FOSS) is getting an inline
spellchecker, which also relies on such lenient/permissive licenses. Same
with the WYSIWYG component, which uses TinyMCE, which I suspect is a
derivative of HTMLArea (sponsored by companies that sought to use it
in-house). High-quality, well-tested, and Free.