[News] Linux Adopted in India Despite Microsoft's Aggression

Microsoft's BIG plans for India

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux, which has no owner in a sense, cannot invest such huge sums.
| However, Novell and Red Hat (who support Linux versions in India) are
| also moving in this direction.
|
| On another plane, Microsoft wants to be the preferred operating system
| (OS) on every PC. Assembled PCs come with pirated copies of XP or Windows,
| losing Microsoft huge sums of money. And the Linux OS on branded machines
| is often replaced with pirated copies of Windows or XP by the user.
| Packaged software piracy is in the 80-85 per cent range.
|
| [...]
|
| A case in point is the revenue Microsoft India sees in business
| processing outsourcing units, where there is much competition from
| products like StarOffice (from Sun) and Linux. "This revenue stream
| does not exist in any of the other Microsoft business units. It has
| the potential to be adopted worldwide," notes an analyst.
|
| [...]
|
| Finally, Red Hat and Novell with their versions and support for Linux
| have made their presence felt in the areas of e-governance and defence.
| For instance, Linux has a strong presence in Kerala, Madhya Pradesh,
| Karnataka and Hyderabad. Microsoft on the other hand, dominates in IT
| centres like Hyderabad and Bangalore.
`----

http://www.rediff.com/money/2006/oct/12spec.htm

Microsoft Traps and Hunts for Bloggers (Shills/Astroturfers) in India

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has announced the "Microsoft BlogStars" contest, to Hunts
| for Developer Bloggers in India. After feeling the power and increase of
| the Bloggers community in India, Microsoft tries to trap and hunt Bloggers
| in India to buildup the blogging community, for writing blog posts
| supporting towards Microsoft Technologies.
`----

http://i5bala.blogspot.com/2006/10/microsoft-traps-and-hunts-for-bloggers.html

Kerala to be FOSS destination

,----[ Quote ]
| "Offers of pre-loaded Linux operating system could yield good
| hardware sales margins," says PK Harikrishnan, president, Kochi-based All
| Kerala Computer Manufacturer and Dealers Association.
`----
http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=131495

Comrades open windows to linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The die was cast on October 2005, when Microsoft came out with a sting
| operation in Thiruvananthapuram on anti-piracy crackdown 'humiliating'
| a couple of PC sellers. "Dealers always prefer to do straight business
| and when it is FOSS systems, there are no ethical dilemmas," says State
| computer dealers association president, PK Harikrishnan. Right or wrong,
| it boils down to a question of seeing software as a market. Make some
| discreet queries, and you will find as much as 95% of multimedia PC
| buyers expect freebies of atleast two basic slices of Microsoft
| software, costing Rs 4200 to Rs 20,000 (Windows 98 to MS office XP).
|
| ...Though West Bengal and Tripura have to go whole hog to adopt a free
| software model, ideological closeness is more than evident."
`----

http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=142832

Indian Policy Makers Call For Greater Use Of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| A wide spectrum of policy makers called for the greater usage of open
| source to modernize India in the digital era and the re-evaluation of
| the laws pertaining to Intellectual Property. The event sought to examine
| the notion of intellectual "property," in the context of traditional
| knowledge, globalization and the growth of the open source movement
| worldwide.
`----

http://in.sys-con.com/read/281396_p.htm

FreeDel 2006 participants learn about FOSS in India

,----[ Quote ]
| The event, in its third year, featured talks and discussions to help
| the education, government, and non-governmental organization (NGO)
| sectors understand the usefulness of FOSS.

IIT Delhi and Red Hat India hold Knowledge Symposium

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zdnetindia.com/news/business/stories/155330.html