Re: linux on an older Mac ?

  • Subject: Re: linux on an older Mac ?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:44:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nrballardco@xxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 12 October 2006 06:55 \__

> surf wrote:
>> My sister has an older mac, she says maybe 6 or 7 years old. The
>> machine is located far away from where I live and she is not technicaly
>> knowledgable, so she doesn't know offhand the amount of RAM etc. This
>> discussion has come up as she is currently visiting. She says she has a
>> hard time using the internet because she has an old version of netscape
>> which she can't upgrade because of her system. She indicates she is
>> using OS 9. I know little about Macs, but was wondering if this might
>> be related to the move to intell chip set and if yellow dog would
>> likely run on an older Mac ? Is there a live CD like knoppix has for
>> IBM PCs ?
>
> A friend of mine recently came across a similar situation.  He was
> given a G3 iMac, which ran OS 9.  Apple discontinued support for OS 9
> several years ago in favor of OS X, and most software developers have
> done the same.  This has very little to do with the hardware or the
> processor.  Anyway, Yellow Dog or the PPC version of Ubuntu should work
> depending on the RAM and CPU speed.

I can recall a thread that discussed this last year, as well as described a
way to plug a 2-button mouse and get past the booting issues. These old Mac
OS 9-compatible machines (I had one at work) should work fine with, let us
say, Ubuntu (some say that even Tiger can be coped with). I couldn't find
the thread that describes this (not the one I had in mind), but here's
something that's a close match.

http://tinyurl.com/maz49

I am sure there are tutorials/HOWTO's on the Web as well.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
Tasks: 134 total,   4 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie