Re: [News] Hovsepian: 80% of Customers Move Towards Linux

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:47:51 +0100
<3003148.unbF6DQIh7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ GreyCloud ] on Wednesday 11 October 2006 17:22 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> CRN Interview: Novell CEO Ron Hovsepian, The First 100 Days
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=193200337&cid=CRNBreakingNews
>>
>> Help me out here Roy, do  you know of any Linux software that one can
>> enter sheet music notation which in turn can generate a MIDI file?
>
> I think that Rosengarden is the de facto standard, which equates to Cubase at
> some level (or is considered the 'Open Source CuBase'). I read some good
> feedback about it, but it's under heavy development, so it might be
> incomplete (albeit it matures, which is what matters the most).
>
> http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/
>
> KDE (Qt) takes pride in Rosengarden, which seems to remind me of AmaroK.

I also use RoseGarden; it's a beautiful program but
at one point it had a bug or two in the sequencer (I'm
hoping it's gone now but there's still anomalous behavior
during pasting that indicates some more work might be
needed).  Also, my 1.4 GHz Athlon is a bit underpowered
for complex pieces, though that might be because I'm
using timidity/ALSA as opposed to pushing MIDI events
out a serial port.  (I'm obviously not that serious a
musician. :-)  I do have some compositions, mostly for my
own amusement.)

RoseGarden has several edit modes:

[1] traditional sheet notation.
[2] matrix notation, where notes are represented as rectangular bars in
what looks a bit like an old piano scroll mounted sideways, except that
there's grid lines as well.
[3] raw event notation, where one is expected to enter the codes for
time and note directly.

There's also a song editor encompassing these edits,
which allows for cutting and pasting musical "phrases"
(usually a few measures long) into channels.  Say one
has a beautiful clarinet solo; one can copy that snippet
into another channel and now one has the same notes
for a different instrument.  The editors also support
transposition, key changes, and a few other things.

The music is saved as XML; I don't know the details offhand
as to how standard the XML is.

I don't know what else is out there, music wise, except that
there's something called Hydrogen.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail