Re: [News] Here Come the Linux Gaming Devices

  • Subject: Re: [News] Here Come the Linux Gaming Devices
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 18:30:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ John Bailo ] on Wednesday 11 October 2006 18:15 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The problem with predicting a winner in the coming battle is that it's
>> | not just Wii vs. PS3 vs. Xbox 360, Parks says. "People still like their
>> | old PlayStation 2 and Xbox. There's nothing about the new consoles
>> | convincing anyone to give them up. It's possible (the game industry)
>> | hash it a plateau."
>
> People like their GameCubes and GameBoy DS.  I know from taking my 12
> year old to Walmart.   Near the games demo stations, XBox and PS/2 are
> always empty, but their's a line in front of the Ninetendo.

I no longer keep track of gaming consoles, but my cousins in Florida have a
Nintendo. It was rather nice, but it was also rather annoying losing to a
10- and 13-year-old. These games require some experience and familiarity...

> I bet that 90 percent of the people who bought Xbox never use the thing.
>    That's the reason they haven't upgraded.   Same with ps/2, except
> it's probably 80 percent - there just haven't been any killer games that
> demand the larger boxes.

PS2's are still sold at the largest numbers in the States.

> Wii is completely different.  First of all, it's only $300.  Second the
> controller and it's more physical, active gaming style.   That's exactly
> what's needed, not some gargantuan uber-station for the living room.
> Gaming stations should be about FUN and GAMING...and so far from what
> I've seen, the Wii is the only one that fits those categories.

We shall see. *smile*

Some analysts pronounced the Wii a forthcoming winner. It seems rather likely
based on what I've seen (videos) and read.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060926/tc_usatoday/tokyotastesthefutureofgaming