Re: WIndows Massive Bloat: Vista System Requirements are "a fairy tale"

  • Subject: Re: WIndows Massive Bloat: Vista System Requirements are "a fairy tale"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 03:27:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 10 October 2006 23:44 \__

> Thanks to Richard for this excellent link:
>
> .----
> | So Redmond's recommended hardware specs go like this (and this is
> | straight from Microsoft's Get Ready for Vista Web site):
> |
> | *512MB RAM (1GB for Premium)
> | *A 'modern processor (at least 800MHz)", which later becomes more
> | specific for "Vista Premium" as 1GHz x86 or x64 processor
> | *A graphics processor that can run DirectX 9 with support for WDDM,
> | Pixel Shader 2 and 32-bits per pixel as well with 64MB of video RAM
> | to support a basic desktop monitor resolution 1024x1280
> | *A 40GB hard disk with 15GB of free space
> | *DVD-ROM drive
> |
> | Okay, no offense Microsoft, but after playing with this OS for a
> | while, that's a fairy tale. And for the record, we did try this with
> | a 900MHz CPU-equipped PC that also had 512MB of RAM, a 40GB hard disk
> | (with all 40GBs free) and a 64MB Intel-based graphics sub-system. The
> | only thing that probably came up short here was the Intel graphics
> | card. But even so, that configuration was pitifully slow.

> | While the system will run inside of 512MB, you're grabbing almost
> | 400MB of system RAM simply by starting the operating system. That
> | leaves you next to nothing to run multiple applications. 1GB leaves
> | you more room, but business users with five, six or more applications
> | open simultaneously as a matter of course are going to want 2GB--and
> | pretty much right away.
> `----
>
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/smbit/archives/2006/06/vista_hardware.html
>
> Maybe Microsoft are trying to redefine "recommended" as well as "Release
> Candidate" and "Platform".

*LOL* cross-platform.

Microsoft Announces Cross-Platform Ad Strategy

,----[ Snippet ]
| ...will allow marketers to reach customers across Microsoft's many
| platforms, including MSN, the XBox, Microsoft Live, Office Online,
| Windows Mobile, and Microsoft TV.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/indie/060926/293_id.html?.v=2

Geez! Advertisers in suits will get all excited. Cross-platform! *Big smile*
It's the buzzword everyone is humming about... it works _EVERYWHERE_! No
discrimination whatsoever. Meanwhile, /release/ of the Resource Gorilla is
ready. Just a few minor tweaks _MIGHT_ be needed (just /might/). It's an
actual candidate... to be burned onto hundreds of millions of CD's. *gasp*

Analysts: Microsoft Changes Meaning Of 'Release Candidate'

,----[ Quote ]
| Two industry watchers say Microsoft is corrupting the term, leading to
| major confusion among customers and others about whether the operating
| system is truly ready to evaluate.
|
| Two analysts Thursday accused Microsoft Corp. of changing the meaning
| of "release candidate" by pushing out a version of Windows Vista that
| still needs major work.
|
| [...]
|
| Joe Wilcox, an analyst with JupiterResearch, said that Microsoft's
| corrupted the term.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192700055&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News

This one truly plays with one's mind. Don't expect a former Windows user to
install an RC of, let us say, Fedora any time soon. The perception has been
ruined. By that standard, assuming that this RC is on par with an alpha (to
use common terminology), the gold release will actually be beta. Service
Pack 1 will be RC1 and Service Pack 2 will be RC2. Vienna will be
release-ready, assuming they take care of that rewrite by then.

,----[ Quote ]
| "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
| operating system is set to be rewritten as the Company 'scrambles' to fix
| internal problems a Microsoft insider has confirmed to SHN... Microsoft has
| also admitted that it has major problems in it's Windows division and has
| has immediately initiated a total restructure of the division..."
`----

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Computing/Platforms?Article=/Computing/Platforms/R7G5G6U4

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
Cpu(s):  24.8% user,   3.2% system,   1.0% nice,  71.0% idle