Re: Acer Criticises Microsoft & Windows Vista

  • Subject: Re: Acer Criticises Microsoft & Windows Vista
  • From: "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 27 Oct 2006 07:05:15 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sinister Midget wrote:
> On 2006-10-27, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> > Acer: Vista Home Basic is a lemon
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> >| Microsoft is effectively smuggling through a price hike for Windows
> >| Vista - by making the entry-level version so poor that no-one will
> >| want to use it. So says Jim Wong, senior veep at Acer, the world's
> >| number four PC maker, who told UK hack Jon Honeyball: "The new
> >| [Vista] experience you hear of, if you get Basic, you won't feel
> >| it at all. There's no [Aero] graphics, no Media Center, no
> >| remote control."
> > `----
> >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/27/acer_slams_vista_home_basic/
>
> So, Vista Basic == Xp SP1.5?
>
> > This was said before, but this time it comes from a system builder which has
> > been feeling cozy with Microsoft for a long time.
> >
> > No virtualisation permitted with Basic either... it's all about money
> > extraction and piracy control really squeezes that goose.
>
> It's unbelievable what people will pay to use such useless crap!
>
> They'll bitch about Word or Outlook going through a spell check and not
> recognizing common words while suggesting stupid ones. They'll gripe
> about Winders sitting for long periods with a wait cursor spinning
> after the only thing they did was click on a window behind a window.
> They'll complain about having to reboot just to get rid of slowdowns
> that shouldn't even be happening anyway (no, it's not always malware
> causing it; it's Windwoes itself).

Reminds me of an E-mail my sister sent me a couple of hours ago...

==
Hey little brother!

I've formatted mom's computer again. the computer was really really
slow. I
only instlled what was necessary (word, ICQ and messenger). if
you want mom to read your e-mails you can use the outlook express that
came
with windows. But I think it'll be better for her if you simply send
your
e-mails to her yahoo e-mail account.
When you are here DO NOT install any programs in her computer (no
thunderbird or firefox - she doesn't use them). All these redundant
installations slow her computer down. Thay make it impossible to work
with
it and it ends up that I have to reformat her computer all the time.
So DO NOT install anything!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing you on Sunday. I will come to mom afetr
work...
===

Windows System Registry: perfect mecanism to discourage and abolish
third-party applications which compete with MS.