Re: Linux May Hit Single Digit Desktop Marketshare in 5 Years!!!

  • Subject: Re: Linux May Hit Single Digit Desktop Marketshare in 5 Years!!!
  • From: Unruh <unruh-spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 26 Oct 2006 01:23:55 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy, alt.os.linux.suse, comp.os.linux.misc
"Paul Hovnanian P.E." <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>Mads Skjern wrote:
>>
>> chrisv wrote:

>> > Nonsense.  I see zero need for either my work or home PC's to be
>> > "portable", and I'm not going to pay a price premium to get a tiny,
>> > unexpandable, fragile, wimpy-video'd, small-keyboarded,
>> > battery-powered POS.
>> >
>> > In five years I'll have a 30" widescreen LCD sitting on my desk.
>> > There will be a mouse and an ergonomic keyboard in front of it.  The
>> > computer will be on the floor.
>> >
>> The 'Computer' as you call it will be gone. Most likely it will be
>> incorporated in the display like Apple did with the iMac of 1998. In the
>> office the PC as we know of now is dead, and has been for years. Any
>> decent set-up is based on thin clients, and the OS ín those can be
>> linux, WinCE or whatever will talk to a central server.

Ah yes, the wet dream of sysadmins. If only we could roll back to the 70s
when everything was controlled centrally and none of these pesky
independent computer were around to mess things up. SOrry it is the other
way. desktop, watchtop, phone top, ... computers will proliferate. There
will not be fewer but more "PCs" everywhere, all with minor or major
incompatibilities with each other.

>Doubtful that desktop systems will become that integrated. A 30" LCD
>will always be a significant investment compared to the processor. You
>don't expect everyone to scrap one of those every time Microsoft
>releases a new resource hog....er, I mean version of Windows.

Agreed.