Re: [News] Firefox 2 Exposure and Adoption to be Fuelled by IE7 Release

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 11:36 Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Firefox Developers Not Scared of IE7
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | With the release of Internet Explorer 7 imminent,
> | Firefox developers have a surprising response: They
> | consider Microsoft to be doing them a favor.
> `----

"A new version of Firefox, 2.0, will be released on Tuesday, on the heels of
the big IE7 launch. And while it doesn't bring changes anywhere near as
drastic as those seen in the first new version of IE in five years, it will
bring some interface, security, and back-end advances. The upgrade offers
some new features, but is primarily a tightening and polishing of the
existing program"

imo they are right - MS have done them a "favour" (I doubt it was
intentional!) in that they have not leap-frogged Firefox.
It's been 5 years since I.E. was previously updated, and even now MS have
(at best) barely caught up with the "basic" FF.  When you consider nearly
2,000 extensions, they are nowhere near.  Meanwhile, FF will continue to
develop, a little at a time, in an orderly manner, and be available to
*all* Operating Systems, not just Windows XP.

In fact, it's a similar story with Vista, is it not?  Five years to make a
small leap, during which Linux distributions have steadily improved almost
beyond recognition, and will continue to improve and develop until Vista is
released, while Vista is released, and after Vista is released, all free,
all open, all "take it if you wish".....  it's not much of a contest any
more....