Re: [News] BBC Says Goodbye to Mac and Linux Users

  • Subject: Re: [News] BBC Says Goodbye to Mac and Linux Users
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:02:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> Beeb breaks out with Windows WMA protection
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| According to a press release from Sonos, the blokes over
>| at the Beeb have decided to jump ship for relying on
>| Realplayer for web content, and have switched over
>| entirely to the Windows-friendly WMA format. Now
>| that the BBC has made The Big Switch, BBC radio
>| stations will be received automatically for users
>| of wireless music and radio provider Sonos.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35282
>
> I told you. Microsoft did the same thing to (NS)NBC.

Well, they're still offering real streams at the moment.

In a way, I actually hope they do this, as this will surely provide
wonderful ammunition for the EU showing how MS are abusing their monopoly.
They're preventing anyone using a non-Microsoft platform from listening
to material paid for by licence payers (ie., not Microsoft!).  MS don't
even pay tax in the UK, they pay in Ireland where the rate is really low,
thus maximising the cash they draw out of the EU.

/* we have tried to make this normal case as abnormal as possible */
             -- Larry Wall in cmd.c from the perl source code