Re: Linux on the Visor?

  • Subject: Re: Linux on the Visor?
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 01:36:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ nrballardco@xxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 17 October 2006 06:22 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Linux coming to a Visor near you?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/179/linux-coming-to-a-visor-near-you/
>>
>> AFAIK, this was never actually released.  It would have been cool,
>> although I personally would rather run Linux on an HPC device.  I'm a
>> console junkie, and the built-in keyboards make it easier to use
>> command-line applications.  Wish I had a Jornada...
>>
>> http://www.jlime.org
>
> A folding keyboard always beats one of those miniature keyboards which assume
> you have chopsticks for fingers... or that two thumbs can do the work of 10
> fingers. Mobile is still an issue. What's truly needed is some voice
> recognition on mobile devices, but CPU capacity won't permit this... not
> without some poor performance. Another option are gloves, with or without
> some projected interface, or an optical analyser. It'll all come one day. A
> symbian executive spoke about it recently too.

I suspect that the need to type will go at about the same time we no
longer write things.  Cannot see that happening in a hurry.  The written
form has many advantages over both full-motion video and over audio.

Voice recognition is unlikely to be good enough to replace keyboard input
in the foreseeable, in my view.  Can you imagine how hard it would be,
sat on a plane with 400 other people all talking to their computers?
Speech is deeply embedded in the brain, nobody is very sure how it
really works, so you're left with the "wine" problem.  After several
years (as many 6 or 7 or more?), the Wine folks have a few things
working, but only a few.  And this is something relatively simple, like
an operating system.  How hard will it be to code up the equivalent of a
language/speech brain centre?

Of course, it will be argued that you don't need to do the whole thing,
you only need to do the bit which filters the required from the
extraneous sounds, allows the brain to pick which conversation to
follow, turns the head to "focus" on the appropriate sound, and then
selects the right language for the multi-lingual.

... should be no problem at all :-)

Save yourself from the 'Gates' of hell, use Linux."  -- like that one.
	-- The_Kind @ LinuxNet