Re: [News] Agri Replaces DB2, Chooses Open Source

  • Subject: Re: [News] Agri Replaces DB2, Chooses Open Source
  • From: yttrx@xxxxxxxxx (yttrx)
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:27:34 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> __/ [ yttrx ] on Sunday 15 October 2006 22:12 \__

>>> Maybe you should just stick with being a windows lackey over there at
>>> St. Paul College, where nothing actually matters.
>>
>> Dude, you're really protective when it comes to UNIXes, Solaris in
>> particular. I understand that you deal with DB2 in your daytime job, but why
>> disregard MySQL which has been proven to be highly competitive?
>>

> mySQL would not even be considered in any mission/data critical data
> centre. Its why, even with mySQL being free, Ellison is a billionaire
>
> Don't get me wrong : it has improved a lot. But a lot of the improvements
> are simply too new to be proven in an environment where data is king.
>
> And what was yttrx's chief whine about it? Inability to do hot backups
> wasn't it? Something similar ...

Hot dumps, and thats not the only thing wrong with it.  I've expounded
on this topic in great detail many times.

>From the MYSQL docs:

"DROP DATABASE seemingly drops each table, first, in arbitrary order.
Since the ordering is arbitrary, it may drop them in the 'wrong'
order. In this case, you'll get the message ... and half of your
tables will be gone, the other half remaining. You can repeatedly
execute "DROP DATABASE" commands and each time (at least for me),
MySQL gets closer to an empty database, at which point, the database
itself is dropped."

There's no excuse for that shit at all.

Also, using its fulltext "feature", you cannot update existing
rows with words already indexed, because it blows up.

Also, MYSQL implements different features on different platforms.
On windows for example, if you create the tablename TESTTABLE,
you can only access it as "testtable".  MYSQL reverts to the
case sensitivity of the operating system, which is utter crap.

Also, MYSQL has no support for triggers or stored procedures,
which even MSSQL supports, let alone postgres, DB2, sybase, and
oracle.

I could go on and on, and have many times.  MYSQL is crap.

-----yttrx

--
http://www.yttrx.net