Re: SOA - BEPL - Wikis and open source

  • Subject: Re: SOA - BEPL - Wikis and open source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:02:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ ed ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 21:00 \__

> On 10 Sep 2006 12:42:40 -0700
> Peter.H.M.Brooks@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I see that an announcement for an Open Source SOA application (FUSE by
>> logicblaze) appeared here, so I hope that this is an appropriate place
>> for this question.
>
> this is perhaps the least productive place on the internet (besides the
> posts titled [news]).

Thanks, Ed. Muchly appreciated.

>> SOA, BPM and BEPLs appear to me to start off with an Enterprise
>> top-down massive implementation view. They seem to want to compete
>> with huge Oracle/SAS/Peoplesoft style implementations. Fine, there's
>> surely a market for that!
>>
>> I'm interested in a more distributed, bottom-up type of
>> implementation. An extension of wikis to allow them to be distributed
>> (and exchange information peer-to-peer as well as to centralised
>> backup and regional servers) as well as partitioned into domains that
>> allow local machine/local authorised domain/enterprise/public
>> permissions for data as well as the ability to define statuses and
>> attributes to entries so that they can be managed by a rule-set, would
>> allow a pretty powerful SOA to be built, with not such huge, expensive
>> and potentially bug-ridden overhead. I'm assuming that, these days,
>
> thats one very long sentance.

Exactly what I thought.

>> this sort of thing would use DSF/RSS/XML and standard encryptation as
>> underlying technologies, but not necessarily be restricted to java/php
>> style implementation (just as with wikis).
>>
>> If you know of anybody working in this sort of area, I'd be interested
>> to know. I'm particularly interested to know of any extended wikis
>> that might be well suited to this sort of extension - obviously they'd
>> have to be open source ones...
>
> if you want to secure data in transit just run the copy over ssh.
>
> if you want to do a wiki, just go download mediawiki and use mysql
> cluster if your database is laden. all synchronisation of the webpages
> is probably best done via rsync.

Frankly, I doubt he wished to go as far as this. I have always thought as
Peter as a philosopher/artistic type (I could be wrong), based on his
interesting contributions in other newsgroups.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Free the mind, the source will follow"
Tasks: 141 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie