Re: Sitemaps in Google alternatives?

__/ [ Big Bill ] on Sunday 10 September 2006 15:07 \__

> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 12:34:15 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [ KimmoA ] on Saturday 09 September 2006 16:46 \__
>>
>>> So... I've been using Google sitemaps for a while now, and it struck me
>>> that Yahoo! and MSN/Live Search also probably have something similar.
>>> Do they, and are they worth using?
>>>
>>> Is it bad to use puretext ones? I currently do that. I don't see why I
>>> should waste bandwidth with XML data. Do the other search engines use
>>> different formats, so you need to make one sitemap per engine, or do
>>> they use a common standard (be it XML or puretext)?
>>>
>>> Also, what's the current marketshare percentage between the largest
>>> search engines?
>>
>>Kimmo,
>>
>>Forget about Google Sitemap. Drop rel="nofollow" as well. They don't help
>>you. They are not standard either, in case you care for importance of
>>uniformity, which is essential for any engineering discipline. They are
>>like Amazon/A9's sitemap.xml, which is a selfish 'extension'. Don't fool
>>yourself. Companies will have you believe that these things benefit you,
>>but it's really about self benefit, to the inve[n/s]tor.
>>
>>Site map = "give us a picture of your site, so that we spare less
>>bandwidth, CPU, and RAM. In terms of crawling, indexing, and cycles,
>>nothing better is guaranteed."
>>
>>rel='follow' = "Oops. Our backlinks-based algorithms is flawed and it is
>>easily subverted by SPAM. Please modify your site to clean up our SERP's.
>>To you, let it be perceived as an elixir to SPAM rather than aimless
>>flagging for the benefit of SE('s)."
>
> Ahem; why was it you didn't get that job again? :-)

I am not a sufficiently experienced systems administrator. But getting a job
is one thing. Retaining it when people Google your name is another.
*shudders*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | GNU is Not Universal (begin recursion)
  3:20pm  up 52 days  3:32,  10 users,  load average: 1.18, 1.03, 0.87