Re: Vista vs. Linux: It's All Down to OEM's, Which Microsoft threatens

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> The simple fact is, OEM's are the ones threatening Microsoft, not the other
> way around.  They're using Linux as leverage to get better pricing from
> Microsoft.  When Microsoft concedes, they drop their "plans" for Linux,
> which likely never even existed.

I don't think that OEMs threaten MS either.  They are all on pretty
good terms with Redmond, even IBM and Sun Microsystems.  No point in
not doing that from a business point of view.  The OEMs are interested
in selling their hardware, no matter what it takes to do so, and they
can be relied upon to make the best decisions for their own situation.

IBM mostly wants to get software development and support contracts from
companies that are willing to pay a lot of money per IBM man-hour
expended.  IBM has a complex set of initiatives that include tradtional
mainframe, unix, linux, and Windows technologies.  They are the most
successful "anything for a buck" enterprise ever, and rival MS in terms
of dollars per year received for software efforts.