Re: [News] Vista vs. Linux: It's All Down to OEM's, Which Microsoft threatens

  • Subject: Re: [News] Vista vs. Linux: It's All Down to OEM's, Which Microsoft threatens
  • From: arachnid <none@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 17:13:28 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 11:39:24 -0700, John Bailo wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Working Tech: A reality check for Vista
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Judging by the grief that Microsoft is getting over delays in the
>> release | of Windows Vista, and the buzz surrounding the price it plans
>> to charge | for the next generation operating system, you'd think we
>> were all | hankering to get our hands on this hot new piece of
>> software. |
>> | Don't believe the hype: There won't be lines around the block at |
>> midnight when Vista hits store shelves early next year, analysts say.
>
> Just because they can't sell Vista though, doesn't mean they won't
> continue to sell XP, or Pro, which the last time I looked was bringing
> in $100, $200, $300 a head.
>
> Meanwhile, check out this promising, but half hearted effort:
>
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF04a/12454-64287-89301-321860-f49.html
>
> Note the "Windows" and "Linux" buttons at the bottom.
>
> Then the drop down on the next page.
>
> It lists OEM Suse Linux, but says "not pre-installed".

IMO just knowing the hardware is linux-compatable and not being forced to
cough up $70 for a copy of Windows are far more important than Linux
actually being installed on the machine. On fully compatible hardware a
distro like SuSE will install as easily as running a Windows rescue CD.
And of course a lot of us run other distro's and just want to know that
the hardware will work with them.

> Further:
>
> Anyone following the continuing investigation of HP's boardroom, and
> it's chairwoman.
>
> Do ya think?

"Dallas" rides again!!!