Re: [News] Vista - Bad, Bad Name

__/ [ Paul Hovnanian P.E. ] on Thursday 07 September 2006 19:47 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> Latvians clutch sides and cry 'fowl' over Microsoft Vista
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | As global software giant Microsoft proudly previewed its Windows
>> | Vista operating system, in the small Baltic nation of Latvia, people
>> | were clutching their sides about the system's name -- which means 'fowl'
>> | in Latvian.
>> |
>> | Worse still, it's a slang term for a frumpy woman.
>> |
>> | "Everybody in my office bursts out laughing whenever I start talking
>> | about the new operating system," 26-year-old customer assistance
>> | manager Zanis, who works in the Latvian capital, Riga, told AFP.
>> `----
>
> Well, we burst out laughing whenever we hear about Vista and that has
> nothing to do with alternate meanings of the name.
>
> ;-)

That's just the comment I was going to append. *smile*

Just imagine. 5+ years. Any other company would have fallen apart after a
while, e.g. the scrapring of Longhorn at the end of 2005. Actually, it's not
quite that bad. Service Pack II was only released a few years back. Revving
up to III in a matter of 3-4 years is considered decent when the code is a
sordid mess. I'd be surprised if they even manage to polish the builds (i.e.
remove bugs) for an on-schedule release. Never before did it take an army of
testers to test a Service Pack, so they must be doing something wrong. And
they lose leadership, as well as developers who know "the dog", as one dev
called Vista.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060907/tc_afp/usitsoftwarecompanymicrosoftlatvialanguageoffbeat