Re: [News] 2B1/OLPC/$100 Linux Laptop More of a Bargain Than Imagined

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Would you buy an upmarket 2B1 (ex OLPC)?

,----[ Quote ]
| I was trying to look for something similar to the 2B1 (ex OLPC) laptop
| that is going to be sent soon. The Ultra mobile PC market is a niche one
| where prices are rarely under £1000. The nearest design I found is the
| Flybook V23i Home Sub-Notebook which costs £1629 including VAT, nearly
| 20 times the 2B1.
| | It doesn't take a genius to figure out that an upmarket 2B1 (let's call
| it 2B2) laptop would be an instant killer, probably selling tens of
| millions within one year.
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=157

I've been trying to buy an ultracheap laptop to take on my camping trip down to Portland's John Day Fossil Beds the week after next.

I don't currently own a laptop.

I've been attempting to bid on this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:ONA:US:11&Item=120028149948

The vendor seems to release these ThinkPads every six hours starting at $3.00 and by the time the auction is over they end up at about $200 (plus $30 shipping).

I'm thinking I could Ubuntu-ize it.

--
Texeme Construct