Re: [News] Windows Faces Problematic Crossroad, Microsodt Needs "Radical Rethinking"

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 19:51:20 +0000, Oliver Wong wrote:

>>> In Depth: The Next Windows After Vista Will Demand Radical Rethinking
>>> From
>>> Microsoft
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192501131&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All
>>>

>     The article claims Microsoft "needs" to do such and such, but I strongly
> disagree with a couple of the author's premises. The most striking one is
> this:
>
> <quote>
> Microsoft must increase the operating system's value by delivering many of
> its functions on the Web, in ways that can be updated as PC users' needs
> change. [...] Windows Live and Office Live are part of the answer, but
> Windows itself needs to become Webified. [...] The trick to Webifying
> Windows will be keeping essential components on a PC's hard drive, while
> moving some user files and the software that interacts with them onto
> servers in Microsoft's data centers. That would unlock users' data from
> their desktops and let Microsoft react faster to shifts in demand and
> competing products.
> </quote>
>
>     I don't think "Webifying Windows" will appeal to users at all, and is
> more likely to create headaches than anything else.
>
> "Mark Kent" <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> It's quite true that their marketing expertise
>> and muscle, and their contacts deep into governments, will help them
>> through all kinds of problems, but in the end, I still can't see how
>> they will compete with free.
>
>     The two big factors I see are:
>
>     (*) Games.

True. The games problem is a bit chciken-and-egg - which do we get first,
more Linux users who want games for Linux, or more games that run on
Linux to attract gamers *to* Linux.

>     (*) There is still the widespread, perhaps incorrect, perception that
> Linux is difficult for a (former-)Windows user to adapt to. A common
> argument from Linux advocates is that assuming zero computer experience,
> it's just as easy to pick up Linux as it is to pick up Windows. Well, fine,
> but the fact of the matter is that a heck of a lot of people already know
> how to use Windows, and they're not confident that they can switch.

Which is why Linux Live CDs are so useful, because it gives newcomers a
chance to experience Linux without any committment. They can get familiar
with the ins and outs of Linux over a period of time, until they know
enough about it to do their fiorst install.

If user really are interested in Linux, they should read some of the Linux
magazines and books there are available, browse some Limuix sites, see
what's going on in the communities. Or if they've got an old PC or laptop,
try installing it there, so that they've no fear of breaking anything
vital.

--
Kier