Re: [News] Corporations That Don't Give Platform Freedom

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 05 September 2006 15:28 \__

http://www.cooltechzone.com/Departments/Featured_Story/Platform_Flexibility%3A_Corporations_Are_Not_To_Be_Blamed_200609052535/1/

> What a load of crap. "Gundeeqp Hora", if that's his real name, thinks
> that an IT pro, with zero Linux experience, gets a new job developing
> on Linux, and his new boss is not only happy to accommodate him, but
> would tolerate a Linux noob wasting company money on his "curiosity".
>
> It was when he suggested that it was possible to get "locked out of
> the workstation", just by "tweaking the desktop", that made me
> suspicious!!! What a load of bollocks; this guy has obviously never
> even *seen* Linux running, let alone had any experience of it in the
> workplace.

I noticed that too. I deliberately avoided quoting that misinformed garbage.
In three years of using this current Linux machine, I was never 'locked
out', unless I was deliberately tinkering with, e.g. X.org settings. Compare
that with Windows, which has 'moods'. Safe mode, command-line with no
diagnostics tools, etc.

And this won't change in Vista. Microsoft is already preparing for the worst.

http://www.apcstart.com/site/jbannan/2006/08/1082/windows-pe-20-a-tiny-version-of-windows-for-system-maintenance

Windows PE 2.0: a tiny version of Windows for system maintenance

> "Gundeep" seems to have completely overlooked certain "trivial"
> considerations; oh, you know, like *qualifications* for example.
>
> The platform you use (and the tools) is dictated by your training and
> qualifications. You then land a position suitable to those
> qualifications, and your skills and experience. If, despite your best
> efforts, you can't obtain a position in that field, then it's time to
> retrain. The scnario "Gundeep" describes above is utter nonesense;
> frankly he's just guessing.
>
> Oh, and I just checked ...this is CollTechZone's "Editor In Chief"!
>
> Fuck!

Probably one of those seniors he talks about. You know, those who are so
traditional. Those who are afraid of unknown technology, but at the same
time approach retirement, which explains lack of attraction to emerging
(supposedly 'risky') technology.

Microsoft loves to shower the Suits with pamphlets that are filled with
disinformation. Expensive dinners are a possibility as well. Beyond this,
there's the use of labels and stereotypes. An IT guy might not want (read:
be afraid) to select Linux because of the Suit's perception. Communism,
'Linux fanboys' etc. If anything goes amiss the stereotypes will fly out
(e.g. 'unreliable or 'difficult'). Just like bugs and security in Windows.
But the Suits don't want to believe that 'tripe', do they?

Best wishes,

Tux is sexy <
http://bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2006/08/paris_hilton_tux.jpg >
Tasks: 124 total,   2 running, 122 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie