Re: [News] South Korea Chooses Linux for National Project

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 04 September 2006 19:40 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> South Korea to construct Open Source National Digital Map DB
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| South Korean government made worldwide commotion when they brought in
>>| world's largest scale Linux servers to construct its National Education
>>| Information System (NEIS) previously; now, it is making another headliner
>>| with another open source based system project.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.zdnet.co.kr/etc/eyeon/enterprise/0,39036961,39150803,00.htm
>
> Hey - here we go again.  Governments have found a new toy - software
> which they can /afford/ and which can be made to do what /they/ want -
> welcome to open-source!

The government is filled with references to Linux and its traits. Worth
exploring at a shallow level. 5-10 years ago, what government would have
thunk (sic) of replacing UNIX by Linux and singing in praise of its merits?