Re: Rant: Some people Windows... and Linux users suffer

  • Subject: Re: Rant: Some people Windows... and Linux users suffer
  • From: William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 12:19:54 +0100
  • Jlaforums: I am NOT a "Guest", I am BANNED from JLAforums but they STILL archive my USENET posts!
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on  Mon, 04 Sep 2006
09:29:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ William Poaster ] on Monday 04 September 2006 08:56 \__
>
>> This message was posted on Usenet, NOT JLAforums, & on  Mon, 04 Sep 2006
>> 06:12:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
<snipped for brevity>

>>>3) 80% of all SPAM is sent from hijacked Windows PC's.
>

> Thanks for the references below. I left links out and used the most
> optimistic figure (among more mouth-gaping statistics). Recent figures
> suggest that, only 2 weeks ago, the number of Windows zombie rose by 20%.
> That was in a _single week_.

 It would be interesting to note (IMHO) when these sort of things occur.
For example, little Johnny's parents buy a shiny noo 'puter for Christmas.
Does it have an AV installed? Is it up to date? Do they have to pay to
*keep* it updated, & would they even bother to...or even think it's too
expensive?

 IMHO it's obvious the "Average Joe" knows zip about computer security, so
their little Johnny gets online, surfs, & manages to get their PC 0wn3d.
(You take wild guess which OS is installed <grin>)
It *does* happen, my other-half (who's head of IT & security at her local
hospital) fixes her local township's computers for them in her spare time,
& I get regular reports from her about the nasties she finds on their
PC's. Now this is just one small Mid-West town, what do you suppose is
happening *worldwide*.

 I was quite amazed at the so-called "Internet industry executive"
(whatever TF *that* is) who simply chucked his PC when it was loaded with
malware. What a shining example to all Windows users of......a complete
jerk, who *obviously* hasn't a clue what he's doing.
 So, he lets it load up with malware, *can't* be bothered cleaning it out,
& meanwhile it could be spewing forth all kinds of nasties. Furrfu.
 As for him being an "Internet industry executive", at worst he should
have a 2" air gap between his PC & modem (to match the one between his
ears), at best he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a PC.

>> Yes. An old article, but still valid:-
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/04/trojan_spam_study/
>>
>> A bit newer:-
>>
>> At present:-
>> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39281508,00.htm
>>
>> I have no doubt the "Windows Apologists" will start making excuses
>> about all this.
>

> How long before we see threads like:
>
> "My college doesn't permit Windows"

I don't know, Roy, quite sometime I suspect. After all, ATM M$ is only
surviving because of people's apathy or ignorance of other OSs (thanks to
M$ being allowed to run as a monopoly for so long, though that's
slowly changing in the EU at least).

> ... the Dean says It ruins the network and becomes a support nightmare,
> which costs too much.
>
> Time will tell. That day will come.

:-)

--