Re: How to make web applications faster?

  • Subject: Re: How to make web applications faster?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 07:58:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [ PDannyD ] on Sunday 03 September 2006 18:57 \__

> On Sunday 03 September 2006 05:44, Charles [landemaine@xxxxxxxxx] wrote in
> message <1157258643.218132.160030@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>> One of the biggest hurdles of web applications is that they are
>> considered slow. Gmail is faster than Squirrelmail, but Opera M2 is
>> faster than Gmail. Yet, web applications are experiencing a real boom
>> and rapid adoption. Web applications are more and more snappy, the
>> Internet is faster and faster with broadband, and web application
>> slowness is less and less an issue to the point that more and more
>> users are switching their desktop applications for web applications...
>>
>> Source: http://www. osresources.com /9_3_en.html
>
> Web-based applications suck. I hate them. We recently switched to a
> completely web-based system at work and it now takes at least 10 times
> longer to do things. It's slow, unreliable, insecure, looks crap, is hard
> to use, requires two different web browsers (one for using the system, the
> other for browsing websites) and is a massive resource hog.

I try to move everything I can into Web-based environments. It has a cost,
but it also offers advantages. And I think we're feeding a troll/spammer
here (URL fragmented)...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    /earth: file system full
Tasks: 122 total,   2 running, 120 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie