Re: [News] Internet Explorer 7 is Spyware

Nigel Feltham wrote:

> BearItAll wrote:
>
>> It doesn't actually matter if MS still support the OS that you have. It
>> doesn't suddenly stop working, you just stop getting the pop ups about
>> updates. Bit of a relief I suspect :)
>
> Versions up to Win2k don't just stop working (as long as you find non-MS
> ways to keep them secure) but XP can - it already has a mechanism to make
> fresh installs stop working until MS supply it with an activation code
> (either automatically over the net or manually over the phone).
>
> All MS need to do is switch off the XP activation server and shutdown the
> activation phone line and any installs that need activation will die after
> 30 days - even restoring from a ghost image will only work as long as you
> keep the same hardware, 3 changes and it needs activation again. Removing
> support for XP can make it as useless as all the old Keydisk and Dongle
> protected applications where the disk/dongle won't fit modern PC's.
>
> And before you suggest using any independent patches to remove activation
> you cannot legally do this either - this is against the licence terms so
> if you do this you're running a pirate copy and liable to fines if you get
> BSA audited.
>
> Unless MS release their own no-activation patch before discontinuing
> support (and all XP users download and keep their own copy of the patch to
> allow for reinstalls) they can effectively make it illegal to keep XP
> running on your PC for more than 30 days between reinstalls.

Thats another example then of MS simply being too powerful. Having the power
to hold the ecconomic world to ransom. Which to me suggests that it has to
be power that is in the hands of elect government bodies.

I don't suppose for a moment that Bill or even Ballmer would be a risk in
that way, but where are their successors coming from, what is their
political history? So to me that strengthens what the EU is trying to do as
well as the ODF lobyists. MS can run their business, but someone else has
to lay down the rules.