Re: Listening to radio streams on amarok (Debian)

  • Subject: Re: Listening to radio streams on amarok (Debian)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 09:18:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [ Shane ] on Thursday 31 August 2006 22:14 \__

> Geico Caveman wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Whenever I try to play a radio stream on amarok on my Debian Testing
>> system, I get a "No suitable input plugin" error. Upon Googling, I found
>> that the reason is that a package named libxine-extracodecs that is
>> available for Ubuntu is not available in the official repos in Debian.
>> Now, that package has other dependencies that are also not available in
>> official repos and further I am not keen on mixing distros.
>>
>> I was wondering if someone knows of a set of Debian packages / some other
>> repo (preferably for Testing) that has the requisite packages. Amarok can
>> play my own mp3's fine, its playing windows playlists and realaudio
>> streams that it cannot seem to manage.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Sounds like codec issues
> apt-cache search codec
> apt-cache search libxine
>
> see what they do

Would you consider using Rhythmbox for radio streams (gstreamer)? They work
brilliantly 'out of the box' in SUSE whereas I never tried streams in AmaroK
(I am not sure version 1.2.1 even has them). As suggested already, codecs
and engines may help. In AmaroK, for example Helix does not seem to support
crossfading whereas aNode does. So it's worth exploring.