Re: Pre-installed Windows "worth" $120?

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Cr00zng ] on Friday 01 September 2006 20:27 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Friday 01 September 2006 23:45 \__

> http://aramis.obspm.fr/~coulais/LogicielsLibres/Detaxe/JugementCRESP-ASUS_06.07.06.pdf

>>> If true, this is excellent news:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/nucvr
>>>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_frm/thread/b7fc5989869233c2/e9074d52774cb88b#e9074d52774cb88b
>>>
>>> It will also give a a stronger push for OEM's to give up on Windows
>>> altogether, offering choice instead. Microsoft's scare tactics will no
>>> longer have an effect although, for vanity purposes, they would prefer
>>> bland laptops rather than preinstallation of Linux. They try to keep Linux
>>> out of sight, e.g. in the showroom.
>>
>> Your dreaming again...
>>
>> The demand keeps Linux out of the desktop/laptop market, not anything
>> else. Dell did offer Linux as an alternative OS for their desktop/laptop
>> line couple of years ego, which they discontinued after a short while
>> for lack of interest.
>

> Proof please.
>

>> If there's going to be a a sizable interest for OEM desktop Linux, as in
>> companies can make money on it, they will be more than happy to bring it
>> in the showroom. As they already do for the server platform...
>

> This only happened earlier this year.
>
> http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/dell-gives-choice.jpg
>
> ,----[ Snippet ]
>| One company has not played a role in Dell's Linux decisions. "Microsoft
>| has not talked to us about Linux. If they did, I wouldn't care. It's none
>| of their business," concluded Dell.
> `----
>
>                 http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3822185143.html
>

> History suggests otherwise. To quote:
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| ...PC makers remain loyal to (read: scared of) Microsoft.
> `----
>
> http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2006/0918/102e.html?partner=yahoomag
>

> As Novell's CEO says:
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Microsoft Corp is using scare tactics to exert pressure on PC vendors
>| not to explore the potential of desktop Linux, according to Novell
>| Inc president and COO, Ron Hovsepian
> `----
>
> http://www.commentwire.com/article_news.asp?guid=2044AB5A-59CA-4EC3-AD3F-73DF7BC4F8E0
>                          (link now broken)
>

> To add a part of Rex's post:
>
> __/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Sunday 03 September 2006 06:10 \__
>
>> HP announced that one of their top-of-the-line proliant laptops, along
>> with one of their desktop machines, would be offered with SUSE Linux.
>> They were introducing the AMD-64 processor based machines.  For a few
>> weeks, it looked like HP was about to "break out" and start
>> mass-marketing machines preinstalled with Linux.
>>
>> Within a few weeks however, things very suddenly changed, and HP
>> stopped promoting their machines with preinastalled Linux, even before
> [...]

I think that this illustrates just why many of the off-topic folk here
don't like the news postings - those very postings are /proof positive/
that much of their off-topic ramblings are just FUD;  your posting above
goes a very long way to show that with a few well chosen articles from
reliable and independently checkable sources, the advocacy of linux has
changed from anecdote and "fonts, cli, nobody uses it" to a growth rate
and breadth which is breathtaking.

That linux and FOSS has forced the biggest vendor of competing software
to FOSS, Microsoft, to offer internationalisation in regions it
previously chose to ignore, is an indication that even a behemoth like
MS is struggling to cope with the success of FOSS.

'Tis more blessed to give than receive; for example, wedding presents.
		-- H.L. Mencken