Re: The Digest Issue

  • Subject: Re: The Digest Issue
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 06:58:27 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 03 September 2006 06:23 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> B Gruff <bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Now that Mark has gone to some trouble to provide a digest of the [News]
>> postings, I assume that everybody is happy - anybody can filter on [News],
>> or filter out Mark's digest, or both or neither.
>
> That was pretty much how I was seeing it...

It would be egocentric to say that I support Mark's digests. However, I still
think that many are missing the /options/ it brings about. Personally, I
only download message headers.

>> Could we take it one step further now..... could all you bloody trolls get
>> together, put all your postings into one big digest once a week, and post
>> it with a header including [Trolls - off topic]?
>
> Now that would be wonderful!

While UseNet is /not/ moderated (not the C.O.L.A. subset of it anyway), this
got me thinking. What if a COLA gateway was created, which dropped every
troll post, including nyms (readers are permitted to flag messages as spam).
Some time ago, over in the newreaders NG, someone introduced to us a Web
interface that facilitates collaborates filering (for SPAM, not trolls).
This got me thinking about having a repository of filtering information,
which could be access from any native mail reader and be used for filtering
(a bit like spamcop.net or Autommatic Akismet for blogs/CMS's).

Then again, we have a Wiki which I suppose could help people set up some
killfiles. Roy C's stats help as well.

>> TIA - I'm away for a couple of weeks, but look forward to seeing your
>> progress on this when I return.
>>

> Enjoy your trip - see you later.

Yes, enjoy the trip. *smile*