Re: [News] Got Windows Problems? Spend More Money

On or about 2006-09-02 Saturday 15:26, I did witness the following events
concerning BearItAll:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Ways to unclog children's too-slow, spyware-stuffed IBM laptops
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Q. I am at my wits' end with my two sons' IBM laptop computers that are
>> | riddled with spyware and viruses to the extent that the computers are
>> | almost unusable.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | I have purchased software that takes care of viruses and software that
>> | takes care of spyware, but it never seemed to work the way it should. I
>> | don't want to add more software to the mix and would rather have a disk
>> | that I can use on any computer that disinfects the entire machine. They
>> | have so much garbage on their computers that I feel adding an
>> | anti-virus/anti-spyware program will just complicate things.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/living/15414766.htm
>
> I can understand how the man feels desperate.
>
> A machine with updated XP and up to date Symantec Internet security
> couldn't find a worm on one of my work machines. The only way was to put a
> secound drive in, boot off that and let the anti-v on that drive check the
> first drive.
>
> The person replying said that if someone came up with a way to clean the
> machines they would make a fortune, well I just did it so where's my
> money?
>
> By the way, if the Live distros come with an anti-virus (I can't say I've
> ever looked for one) then that may be a good way to clean the systems.

Google "Vexira". Nice Linux-based liveCD antivirus solution right there.
Doesn't clean NTFS though, but it does tell you what's where so you can go
in manually and rip out the offending files (you did remember to cycle
system restore, didn't you? This is where a lot of malware installers hide
themselves, being as the restore folder is not user-accessible).
--
I hereby testify that the above statement is an accurate recollection of the
events mentioned therein.