Re: [News] OLPC Linux Laptop to Ridicule MS Tablet PC's

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 02 September 2006 08:41 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> 2B1 to ridicule Microsoft Tablet PC with instant boot, Webcam, SD Slot,
>> VoIP, Router, 2W power consumption
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Things are getting hot for the One Laptop Per Child project. According
>>| to various sources, it looks like Brazil is going to be the first country
>>| to receive the first million laptops ou (sic) there.
>> `----
>>
>> http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=156
>
> I want one.  In fact, I want several for the school.

I remember your suggestion. You said they would suit British schools as well.
A couple of weeks later I came across an article about schools that crave
for that laptop as well. I think those school were in America.

In any case, don't miss the following story.

Quanta plans 10m $100 PCs in 12 months

,----[ Quote ]
| As for software, the $100 laptop will run a variant of Linux and
| maybe Windows and OS X if the right deals and designs can be done
| with Microsoft and Apple. A web browser and basic apps will be
| bundled.
|
| [...]
|
| According to Digitimes, Quanta president Michael Wang believes 10 million
| can be made from the 12-month period starting at the end of the first
| calendar quarter next year. Production will be in China and then
| maybe eastern Europe.

This one should have supply that's not restricted to or tied to a project (OS
crusade?).