Re: [News] K/Ubuntu Edgy Knot 2 is Released

>> That's like saying Novell has taken all the credit for RedHat's innovations
>> because SuSe is (technically) RedHat based.
>

> I was never too sure about that, but Red Hat Package Management (did I guess
> that acronym correctly?) should have served as a clue. Here's an interesting
> mindmap.
>
> http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3370/2500/1600/GNULinux.jpg
>
> Doesn't show SUSE as a descendent of Red Hat.

That chart is incredibly inaccurate.  For example, Although RedHat
is today developed from much of the work done in Fedora Core, Fedora
Core is a descendent of RedHat.  It also doesn't show quite a few
important RedHat descendents, such as LinuxPPC, Yellowdog, or

SuSe blasted onto the scene as a very early riff on Slackware (yup,
thats right), which happened sometime in 1994.  After a short time,
it gained some pretty important RedHat functionality, moving completely
to the redhat package management system, and switching over to
/etc/sysconfig.  From that moment on, it was generally seen as a
RedHat descendent with roots in Slackware.

At the very least, the charge should show SuSe as a descendent of
Slackware, not a direct interpretation of GNU/Linux, as Slackware
itself is.

Also, Mandriva is a Mandrake descendent (directly, its pretty
much the same thing), and Mandrake was so RedHat based that early
versions were nearly indistinguishable.

That picture needs some major redoing.

-----yttrx

--