Re: system crashed... some help me please...

  • Subject: Re: system crashed... some help me please...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 13:02:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ coolsriram@xxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 01 September 2006 12:52 \__

> Hi there
> On Redhat EL4, web server, with Tomcat 5.0.19,we have a situation where
> the system crashed
>
> and when rebooted it stops in grub. From grub, when we try to mount
> root paritions or find
>
> boot images, using explicit commands, we cannot find them. Seems like
> the root partition is
>
> lost or file mounts corrupted.

Have you got complete backups? It's good practice to keep some using e.g.

dd if=/dev/hdd0 of=/some-location/hdd0.img

For boot sector: dd if=/dev/hdd0 of=bootsect.lnx size=512 count=1

> Can anyone please tell me why and how this happens? And a way out?

Could be a bad sector. But if you can't mount it, you can't fsck it... (don;t
be imaginative here)

> Someone mentioned, last time they had this problem, they simply
> reinstalled Linux and
>
> started afresh. Is this the only way out?

Only if you use Windows and therefore have no diagnostics tools ("Knoppix to
the Rescue" aside) or must handle something opaque like Registry and DLL's.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Othello for free: http://othellomaster.com
Tasks: 127 total,   2 running, 124 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie