Re: [News] Wife of ReiserFS creator goes missing

__/ [ Tony Sivori ] on Monday 18 September 2006 17:59 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Tony Sivori ] on Monday 18 September 2006 17:31 \__
>>>
>>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8278035161.html
>>>
>>> http://www.insidebayarea.com/timesstar/localnews/ci_4342247
>>
>> From what I read in the former URL (I think), the lawyer suggests that
>> Hans has done nothing. Maybe he's just hiding under /tmp.
>
> Perhaps he is blameless. I certainly hope so. All we know is what the
> press reports, and they frequently get the facts wrong, or misinterpret
> the facts.
>
> But for me two things stand out. A warrant was issued to search his home.
> With cadaver finding dogs. In the U.S., search warrants are supposed to be
> issued only upon probable cause.
>
> Second, why are the children in state custody? It seems that as the only
> available parent, if he had come forward, he should have automatically had
> at least temporary custody.

True. It smells bad in general and my previous slightly sarcastic remark was
out of place. I first heard the news about 3 days ago when no relation to
Hans himself was drawn, but some people picked on the name and a discussion
began about the origins of his wife, some of his life story, names and so
forth (some people in a forum which I read seem to know him pretty well).

There was no admission of anything, so let's give him the benefit of the
doubt. In one article that I read, a quote was noted which went along the
lines of "contributing to Open Source is great, but where I come from, if
you don't have money, you're s**t". This, of course, hasn't got much (or
anything) to do with his relationship with his wife, let alone the family.

It smells bad, but let's not jump to any conclusions. He could be a/the
victim here. That's why I posted nothing to COLA. By the way, Lilo of
Freenode died in an accident yesterday. He was riding his bile.

Best wishes,

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.