Re: [News] A New Linux-like Web O/S

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> AtomicOS - Another AjaxOS
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | It has a ROM and a Kernel and build itself up much like a real
> | operating system on real hardware. The only difference is that everything
> | is written in Javascript. It's interesting what happens when OS design
> | principles are applied to the browser.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.pathf.com/agileajax/2006/09/atomicos_anothe.html
>
> See WAJAX at the bottom. It's POSIX.

The first time I saw something like this was YouOS (www.youos.com), and
it was instantly impressive. Launching a browser *inside* a browser,
running an OS, running a browser, and so on, like a recursive
double-mirror effect to infinity, has got to be one of the weirdest
things I've ever seen.

I revisited YouOS just now, and it has certainly matured to the point of
great usability, but that other Ajax OS, EyeOS (http://eyeos.org/demo)
looks even more impressive, although not yet available as an interactive
demo.

One thing I'll say for WAJAX is that it is *much* faster and more
responsive than either of the other two, but then it does have slightly
less going on right now.

One point of contention though; isn't it more accurate to describe these
things as Window Managers in a browser environment (DOM), than actual
Operating Systems?

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 22:58:26 up 91 days, 23:15,  2 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00