Re: [News] Australia Obeys US and Joins France in Restrictions Over Openness

  • Subject: Re: [News] Australia Obeys US and Joins France in Restrictions Over Openness
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 09:31:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
Ian Hilliard <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 08:39:30 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> New laws target modchip users
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.smh.com.au/news/games/new-laws-target-modchip-users/2006/09/14/1157827083369.html
>>> http://tinyurl.com/p2rzv
>>
>> Why would Australia and France wish to become American vassals?  The
>> ability to modify hardware you've bought has nothing whatsoever to do
>> with free trade, indeed, this appears to be restraint of trade.
>
> This is a question that I have asked myself many time. The only answer
> that I can come up with is that the Australian Prime Minister must be
> getting something from the USA that is not obvious to outsiders. This
> something that he is getting, makes it worth while selling out the whole
> country.

What has he been promised?  Oil, perhaps?  A luxury yacht?  Who knows...
However, the whole issue is absurd.  A law which says that I can't use a
device I've bought for whatever /I/ want, as decided by /me/ has no place
on any statute book.  Further, this use of legislature and legislation
to further business interests has no place an a mature society, it is
essentially a form of corruption.

I wonder how many Australian teenager males will be locked-up before
anyone realises how they've been conned by the US?

In Minnesota they ask why all football fields in Iowa have artificial turf.
It's so the cheerleaders won't graze during the game.