Re: A Letter Welcoming Windows Users to a Linux World

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

A lot wrong with this, royboy:

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Dear Windows user,
> |
> | you are looking into the world of Linux? Welcome to another world
> | of computing. As a MS Windows user you are familiar with one way of
> | doing things. Be prepared to familiarize with a different way of doing
> | things. This can sometimes be confusing, sometimes frustrating.

Now this is kind of a downbeat note to be playing right out of the
chute.  Instead of warning the guy about how rough an experience he is
in for, he should be told about all the wonderfully new features and
functions that linux brings to personal computing.  Oh, there aren't
any?  Well, at least pretend.

> | I hope that you can remember when you were learning Windows. Some people
> | come from another background (eg. MS-DOS).

Now that was some 15 or more years ago, roy!  That's like 3 lifetimes
for computers.

Other people jump directly
> | into learning how to manage a computer running MS-Windows. At any rate,
> | learning the ins and outs of an OS is a task which requires some work,
> | time and patience.

Still all sour and no sweet, roy.  Any real person has put this paper
down and gone on to look for something more interesting.

Learning how to manage your computer with Linux willn
> | ot be any different - because Linux is not trying to replicate MS-Windows,
> | it is a system of its own.

"Manage" my computer?  What does that mean?  I just want to USE it.

Learning a new operating system takes months -
> | maybe years (to reach an almost complete level of knowledge).

At this point you only have the dedicated masochists still reading,
roy!  Don't get your hopes up that this will bring in any new meat.