Re: [News] Microsoft's IPTV Efforts Dwindling, Verizon Fixes Microsoft's Bugs, Memory Hog

__/ [ 7 ] on Saturday 16 September 2006 17:47 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Verizon takes over Microsoft TV code
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Unhappy over the memory footprint of applications and delays in rolling
>> | them out, Verizon has ditched some of Microsoft's television software
>> | and has chosen instead to write its own.
>> `----
>>
>> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060914-7742.html
>>
>> Also:
>>
>> FiOS TV and MSFT: When End-to-End Becomes Best of Breed
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Quoting: "With the project in danger of running behind schedule, Verizon
>> | sent its own employees to oversee the work between Microsoft and
>> | Motorola. Engineers from all three companies had several meetings a day
>> | to nudge the project along. Eventually, Verizon took over the
>> | development of the program guide altogether from Microsoft, and ended up
>> | writing a new version of the software that was less memory-intensive."
>> `----
>>
>> http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/laszlo/archives/017055.html
>

> Why bother writing own software?
> KnopMyth runs Myth TV and some modifications of that can get them
> all they want.

...Exactly what I thought...

But they are Verizon. Better keep nasty companies out of freely-available and
resusable code. Verizon is, after all, said to be among the forces which
strive to close our Internet, which is a necessity for exchange of code,
knowledge and information that deviates from financially-biased
distributions (e.g. local word of mouth, salesmen, Fox, NTY).

It's Wikipedia, GNU, and the Internet in general that prove openness makes
our society a better and more democratic place. That's why the communists in
China are already closing portions of it. Among all the giants (including
search engines), Wikipedia (Jimbo Wales) is the only 'authority' that
laughed in the face of the Chinese government when it had requested
censorship. I say, if they want to use firewalls to block access to
peer-reviewed information, good luck to them... but it's highly unfair that
they treat their citizens in this dishonest way. Reminds me of Microsoft's
stronghold on the media, the showroom and so forth It makes people no better
than sheep. And misfortunate history ought to never repeat itself.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Reversi for Linux/Win32: http://othellomaster.com
Swap:  1036184k total,   321936k used,   714248k free,   103844k cached