Re: Next Version of Ubuntu Reaches Knot 3, Set for October Release

__/ [ Chris Dunaway ] on Friday 15 September 2006 21:28 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) Knot 3
>>
>> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/edgy/knot-3/
>>
>> A release that is less than 6 months apart. This must be better than 5-6
>> years as modularity makes testing and polishing a Breez[e/y]. Not only are
>> benign/severe bugs patched within hours rather than weeks, or months, or
>> years, but releases are also very frequent. Linux makes huge strides (one
>> distro alongside its rival and friend). Apple and Microsoft are
>> embarrassingly sluggish in comparison.
>
> Do you know, off the top of your head, if ubuntu works with some of the
> newer video cards?  I have a nVidia 7800 GT (which is not that new
> anymore) but the Ubuntu live cd that I have doesn't want to work with
> it.  When I put it in, I see the spash screen for Ubuntu as it loads
> but it messes up I presume when the UI starts.  I am a Linux n00b to
> the highest degree so I don't know what to do to fix it.  I burned that
> live CD before the nVidia card came out because it worked just fine on
> my ATI 9800 card which I had before so I assume that it was because of
> the newness of the video card.
>
> Is it possible to have the live CD use newer drivers when it loads?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

I don't know for sure, but I suspect Ubuntu will not include any 'binary
blobs' that are drivers of this kind. This means that you will be only able
to install drivers once you have a static (as opposed to "live") distro. I
don't have enough experience to comment on it, which is why I didn't answer
immediately. And that said, there are (were) live distros that included
NVIDIA drivers and they are (were) in violation of the GPL. I still suspect
there are game-dedicated (live) distros that achieve something similar. Why
not try a proper installation on a vacant partition?