Re: Minor amusing item - Open Source everywhere

  • Subject: Re: Minor amusing item - Open Source everywhere
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:47:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Friday 15 September 2006 17:50 \__

>  Was out buying ink cartridges for our printer, and saw a couple of
> sound cards in OfficeMax. Diamond Xtreme Sound 7.1 ($30) and 5.1 ($20).
> Sadly, it didn't announce Linux support on the box, though they *are*
> supported.
>
>  But it did ship with sound editing software. Audacity, to be exact. A
> beautiful example of a company enhancing their offering with open-source
> software. The OSS gets more exposure, Diamond sells more cards, win-win.
> Expect to see more of that in the near future.

One could put some SUSE CD's on the anti-virus software shelves. It's the
ultimate solution. No CPU cycles devoured, either. Less sarcastically, Dell
preloads computers with Firefox (in the UK), as well as Google software.
Companies like Acer take similar steps (Yahoo, only yesterday,
http://tinyurl.com/q2zyo ), as well as Google:

"Earlier on Wednesday, Yahoo rival Google Inc. announced a competing deal in
which Web search services will be featured on software from Intuit Inc.
aimed at small business users."

                        (same URL as in the Yahoo story)

Also see:

Challenging Microsoft on the Desktop