Re: Microsoft's Reach for New Markets Highlight Financial Woes

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft's Reach for New Markets Highlight Financial Woes
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 15 Sep 2006 07:26:13 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Microsoft Sees Potential in New Markets
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft has struggled to make money in countries such as China and
> | Russia where piracy of its flagship Windows operating system and Office
> | business software remains rampant.
> |
> | Microsoft Vice President Mitch Koch conceded that hardware sales are only
> | a small part of Microsoft's overall revenues, which are dominated by
> | Windows and Office sales, and that hardware doesn't have the high profit
> | margins of established software.
> |
> | But Koch, who is in charge of Microsoft's worldwide entertainment and
> | devices retail sales, said the company's keyboards, mice and other
> | computer peripherals are profitable, although it continues to lose money
> | on its Xbox 360 videogame consoles.
> |
> | In July, Microsoft warned that its latest foray into hardware, the Zune
> | media player that will be built by Toshiba Corp. to compete against Apple
> | Computer Inc.'s iPod, will not be immediately profitable.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060913/microsoft_hardware.html?.v=6

The "Highlight Financial Woes" was completely fabricated by you. It
appears nowhere in the article. Quite ironic that *you* started the
"FUD And Ethics" thread. Pot... kettle... black.

FWIW - MS has *always* expanded into new markets. Well over a decade
ago they got into peripherals (mice, keyboards, etc.) and even into
accelerator cards at one point (Mach-286). The Zune is not a new
business idea for them, it's just another expansion for a company that
has done this dozens of times before.