Re: [News] EU Warns the Monopoly, Could Delay Vista Globally

__/ [ Robert Newson ] on Thursday 14 September 2006 20:08 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> | CONSUMER OUTCRY.  The Commission is also concerned about a file viewer
>> | called Metro that will be included in Vista. Metro can display documents
>> | created in the PDF format developed by Adobe Software, which could
>> | erode Adobe's market leadership in PDF creation tools.
>
> Errrmm, /Metro/ is a *viewer* (``Metro can display documents created in the
> PDF format'') so what's that got to do with PDF creation tools (``which
> could erode Adobe's market leadership in PDF creation tools'')?

Here's a thought that I have. Think FrontPage and Internet Explorer. What
Microsoft intends to do here, which is also what Adobe argued against
Microsoft at the time (in court/Commission?) is that portability of PDF's is
what Adobe thrives on. Microsoft could corrupt the format as it has always
done. It could 'extend' PDF in a way that only permits its own software
(Metro, Windows-only) to read those 'extensions'. And be sure, it's likely
to happen. Think Active X. Think Google and rel="nofollow", or even Google
sitemap (XML). It's exclusion through extension because Google, for example,
being an SE monopoly (almost), can reach pages that are islands, whereas the
competitors cannot. It gives it competitive advatnage, which was attained
through extensions that were never standardised or unilaterally agreed upon.
Never trust unethical companies that have proven time and time again that
they are bullies.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Those who can, Open-Source
 12:20pm  up 57 days  0:32,  9 users,  load average: 0.95, 0.58, 0.45