Re: [News] Moving from Windows to Ubuntu Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] Moving from Windows to Ubuntu Linux
  • From: "Scott Nudds" <nospam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 03:18:10 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

"The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> It's not Aero.

  In the short term this will be a good thing.

  Aero will make the desktop look like a video game and make life a little
easier for graphic designers who want to make their applications look real
good.

  But in terms of 3d effects, there is little reason or utility in them.

> Indeed, as that's such a major problem when typing in
>
> 'vi configfile'

  And then doing what?  Trying to figure out how big the parameter zapf
should be? Or trying to figure out how many "happy meals" should be
included?

  Both of these parameters I found in Linux config files.

> going into a gui submenu, looking around, trying to find the
> config setting one wants and hoping the registry doesn't crap
> out again as Windows is wont to do on occasion.

  Registry problems?  I've been running windows for 12 years and never had
one.

  No one else I know has had any either.

> Windows Vista will definitely fix everything.  (Or was that put
> everything into a fine fix?)

 Neither of us can say as Vista is not in production yet.

But we do know where Vista will be in 5 years - on everyone's machine.
Except perhaps .02% of the public who have low enough self esteem to run
Linux.

Linux is for losers.