Re: [News] DRM Cracked (Reverse-Engineered) Again

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Thursday 14 September 2006 14:59 \__

>> This comes to prove that DRM is customer punishment that achieves merely
>> nothing. A few crackers will be enough to proliferate the media via P2P.
>> When you play it, it's out in the open.
>
>     Right, as long as the music generates sound waves, a microphone can
> record it. Similarly with light waves and a camcorder.

And we are yet to download scents, aren't we? If only there was an electronic
peripheral that could stimulate the taste buds and sense of smell. We are
yet to see output that connects directly to the nerve system, as scary as it
may sound. And, no, I'm not some Matrix fanatic, but I just think it's a
case of realism. Then, restrictions like DRM take a whole biophysical (and
somewhat distrubing route). Reminds me of patenting DNA sequences... ah,
well..

>     The solution is, of course, to make microphones and camcorders illegal.
>
> http://static.publicknowledge.org/pdf/HR-4569-DTCSA-Analog-Hole.pdf
> <quote>
> No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide or
> otherwise traffic in any analog video input device that converts into
> digital form an analog video signal that is received in a covered format,
> or an analog video signal in a covered format that is read from a
> prerecorded medium, unless any portions of that device that are designed to
> access, record, or pass the content of the analog video signal within that
> device detect and respond to the rights signaling system with respect to a
> particular work by conforming the copying and redistributing of that work
> to the information contained in the rights signaling system for that work
> in accordance with the compliance rules set forth in section 201 and the
> robustness rules referred to in section 202.
> </quote>

Interesting read. Thanks.

>> Unless, of course, you could play
>> the music/film in some obscure binary form and engineer people's brain to
>> be
>> able to interpret that. Each person has a different 'mental' key. Then,
>> telepathy can eb considered a form of piracy.
>
>     If the big companies can channel information directly, presumably
> someone would write a 3rd party client so we could all channel information
> to each other, so telepathy would become much more common place. That said,
> human memory is faillible, so if I "hear" a song in my head, and then send
> my memory of what the song sounded like to you, the memory of the recording
> may differ significantly from the original song.

What if you 'stream' it?

>     And then Sony would write a rootkit for our brains to prevent us from
> sending these memories around. And we'd be preoccupied 24 a day with
> thoughts of bigger penises, low mortgage rates and nigerians in need of aid
> ot recoop their lost fortunes.

*LOL*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
Tasks: 130 total,   1 running, 127 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie