Re: [News] Flash 9 for Linux Debuts

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 14 September 2006 09:40 \__

http://www.webpronews.com/expertarticles/expertarticles/wpn-62-20060913LinuxTheFlashAndTheFish.html
>> http://tinyurl.com/kcrpj
>
> What the friggin 'ell are these people thinking of? Ubuntu Christian
> eddition?

I have been thinking about it. Personalised distributions can be thought of
as though they are company images, which save the hassle of installing and
customising a desktop. I see no harm in that. It's Ubuntu underneath. Having
software 'flavours' makes society more diverse and promotes individualism.
Microsoft's uniformity (e.g. XP with La-la Land wallpaper) reminds me of
communism. Just remember to wear some XP lipstick and wear some bland olive
shirt... and dare not change the behaviour of that desktop. The only pitfall
is support and documentation.

> Is there some perculiarity with these particular christians which makes
> them incapable of using a non-christian version? What of muslims and Jews,
> perhaps they have to fill out a declaration of faith before they gain
> access to the download button.

One could argue that locales have demonstrated the need for diversity. You
could either force the entire world to use a English-'speaking' O/S (it was
Bolivia's Linux lust that got Microsoft's response recently) or cater for
the culture.

> Then the artical suggests that the release of Christian Ubuntu is itself a
> piss take of christians.
>
> Screw Ubuntu, I'm not supporting them when they do stupid things such as
> these.

I am an atheist myself, but I see no harm in a distribution that packs what a
more religious user desires. Will it promote zeal? I think not. I think that
Ubuntu shows some tolerance, but at the same time you could argue that
Ubuntu harbours and reaches out for the intolerant. It's a subtlety and a
borderline case.

> If they want to release software packs for Christians that is fine, but
> that is Not the OS, it is just a software pack.

Good point. Thankfully they call it an Edition, as opposed to, let us say,
Christian Linux. Earlier this morning I came across yet another Linux distro
that is targetted at Christians only. That's just how it was phrased.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S