Re: [News] Windows Vista - $2525 Just for HARDWARE

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:50:22 +0100, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Geez. My computer cost less than 10% that price. And the O/S (Opensuse) was
>free.

>Build Your Own Windows Vista System

>,----[ Quote ]
>| Being forward looking is never cheap. We've configured a system that will
>| run Vista superbly, but it's really not complete. The lack of practical
>| high definition optical drives and DirectX 10 hardware means that the
>| system will likely to be upgraded at least once in its lifetime.
>`----

>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2015423,00.asp

Not only that, but you can expect microsoft to underestimate hardware
requirements by at least 2-4 times.

I wouldn't be surprised if a dual 4 ghz machine with 4 gigs of DDR2 memory and
an nvidia gforce 7 or equiv. turns out to be the minimal requirement for vista.

Nobody '01 thought XP would need 512M of ram and microsoft was saying 64M.
Nobody should expect vista to run worth a damn on current hardware.