Re: [News] Switzerland: Another Adopter of Open Source and OpenDocument Format (ODF)

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 13 September 2006 20:50 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Switzerland moving to open document
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| M. Francois Marthaler, mayor elect for the Swiss Canton of Vaud (a canton
>>| is an administrative district, in Vaud's case covering ~700,000
>>| people)... told the conference that Vaud are planning a move to open
>>| source and open standards, including OD Format. Further on we learnt that
>>| they have all the right motives, understand the benefits and the risks
>>| and have clearly planned this move carefully. The delegates also learnt
>>| that this commitment to open source/open standards in public
>>| administration was spreading throughout Switzerland.
>> `----
>>
>> http://opendocumentfellowship.org/node/214
>
> I don't know where Roy C is, and it's not probable that he's in Vaud,
> but you never know...
>
> This is super news, the rate of government adoption is amazing.

I thought about Roy C when I wrote this. He'd be contented. I put Switzerland
at the beginning of the subject line, so maybe it'll grab his attention. I
think this demonstrates that any move to ODF is conveniently followed by an
all-round move to Open Source and possibly Linux (could be a gradual
migration with Open formats and application as an intermediate 'station').

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    make install -not war