Re: Autodesk Open-Sources Mapping Software (Not AutoCAD, Yet)

  • Subject: Re: Autodesk Open-Sources Mapping Software (Not AutoCAD, Yet)
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 01:00:05 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Sophie Kowalski
<linux-sux@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on 12 Sep 2006 16:06:12 -0700
<1158102371.963852.159870@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Open source creeps into mapping software
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL), MapGuide Open
>> | Source enables organizations to develop and distribute spatial and design
>> | data over the Web.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | "We think there is a direct analogy between what's happening in Web
>> | mapping [software market], and what happened with Web servers in the
>> | beginning," Zeiss said, noting that the trend toward commoditization
>> | had convinced Autodesk to contribute MapGuide Open Source to the OSGF.
>> |
>> | "This was a strategic way of creating a much bigger market than we could
>> | have ever created with a closed-source product," he added.
>> |
>> | With an open source product on its cards, Zeiss said Autodesk is also
>> | following the footsteps of other open-source software vendors--that is,
>> | to charge for premium services and support.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | "To open-source AutoCAD will be giving away valuable trade secrets to
>> | competitors. There's no prospect for doing that at all," he explained.
>> |
>> | IDC noted in a June 2006 report that it is too early to assess the
>> | long-term impact of Autodesk's open source strategy. "But initial
>> | indications are that geospatial users and the open source community are
>> | responding positively, perhaps to the point of shifting Web-based
>> | geospatial interfaces to a predominantly open source model," the
>> | analyst company said.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,61952140,00.htm
>

> Excellent screen shot on web-site of this software:
>
> https://mapguide.osgeo.org/
>
> Looks like they using Microsoft Internet Explorer and Microsoft Windows
> XP OS. I look at download page and see Windows download available.
> Again, nothing for lienux.

You're not fooling anyone, you know, linux-sux.

https://mapguide.osgeo.org/system_requirements.html

indicates that there are two engines.  The AJAX engine
will work with all sufficiently AJAX-capable browsers;
the DWF Viewer only works on Windows.  (These are on
the client/browser side of the equation.)

It will also run on RH Enterprise ES3 and GCC 4.0.2-capable
Linux machines.  PHP 5.0.5 is required.  In fact,

https://mapguide.osgeo.org/faq_installandconfigure.html

has the following rather interesting answer:

8. Does MapGuide Open Source run on Windows XP?
    Yes, but it's not recommended with IIS. The MapGuide
    Viewers make multiple simultaneous requests that can
    easily exceed the default limit set for the personal
    version of IIS included with XP. MapGuide Open Source
    runs fine on Windows XP using the Apache Web Server.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.