Re: [News] Windows Spyware and Adware Grows at EXPONENTIAL Rate

  • Subject: Re: [News] Windows Spyware and Adware Grows at EXPONENTIAL Rate
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:00:02 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter Köhlmann
<peter.koehlmann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:45:36 +0200
<ee6v5q$8j8$01$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Study: Adware Increasing Exponentially
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The prevalence of adware and spyware is increasing at an exponential
>> | rate, and only one out of every 33 Web users can correctly identify a
>> | 'safe' and 'unsafe' site, security firm McAfee said in a report first
>> | released Monday.
>> `----
>>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>

> http://www.betanews.com/article/Study_Adware_Increasing_Exponentially/1158002129
>>
>> What the heck is an 'unsafe' site? Windows makes the Internet dangerous.
>
> Well, certainly next to no user can detect one
> Although we have had the odd cretin here who told us that he never goes
> to "unsafe" sites on the internet and for that reason never gets his
> wintendo toy infected with malware
> Must be his psychic powers to know in advance which sites not to visit

Especially since I for one could see some odd scenarios
with stale links in Google, MSN, or Yahoo!, and registrants
with less than pure motives snapping up expired websites
and putting adware/spyware capabilities thereon -- or worse.

Fortunately, I don't have any specific examples. :-)
Unfortunately, I don't see why it couldn't happen;
"www.yaoho.com" (which is of course a misspelling of
www.yahoo.com) used to take one to a porn site (Young
Adults Osculating, Heaving, and Orgasming, or some such
silliness).  I think TIME reported on it at one point.

That particular one's long since expired, but there's
others.  Lots of others.  That's one of the milder
examples, of course; there's also www.rotten.com, which
at least everyone knows about (or should), and the GoatSe
site, and of course anyone could point a link abbreviator
site to a "bad" site for laughs, maliciousness, deviousness,
or just plain badness.

We're a weird bunch, we humans. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.