Re: Micoshaft silently micoshafting your disk drive

  • Subject: Re: Micoshaft silently micoshafting your disk drive
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 05:44:53 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 12 September 2006 02:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
> <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:34:22 GMT
> <2TiNg.17438$r61.8798@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/11/1342224&from=rss
>>
>> Uh oh!
>>
>> It appears micoshaft is silently micoshafting your disk
>> and turning it into a spinning wizz of trashed data.
>
> Yowch.  That's going to sting.  Overwriting the last 4096 bytes
> with 0xDF (Ã?)?
>
> St00pid.

Yeah, Caveman helped me realise it was a hoax/prank. I didn't pay attention
the the comments. Never gone beyond that Slashdot article's body anyway...
0x00P5!

>> No fix as yet for irrecoverably trashed data despite you having paid.
>>
>> Oh well.
>>
>> Loads of open source free OSes here to replace data corrupting
>> micoshaft OS.  http://www.livecdlist.com
>
> But do they have Official Microsoft Solitaire(tm)? :-)

I once read that the source code may have been leaked. Or maybe it said
something along the lines of "this is serious. It's not as though the code
for Solitaire has been stolen". I think it was the codebase of 2000, which
in any case is similar to that of Windows Vista.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
Tasks: 143 total,   1 running, 141 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie