Re: [News] Microsoft? Think The Titanic (GOOD READ)

__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Monday 11 September 2006 18:00 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> Hasta la Vista, part 2: MSFT Titanic
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>
> <SNIP>
>
>>| IBM went down when they introduced their PS/2 line of
>>| products. It should have been their finest hour. Microsoft
>>| may share the same fate. It will certainly not be the end
>>| of the giant, but it will be the end of a reign of terror.
>>| Still not convinced? I will give a Microsoft employee the
>>| last word:
>>|
>>| "It scares me that this is what Linux does today, it's
>>| free. Open Office is free. I can do anything on the 'free'
>>| platform that I can do on Windows. Eventually it will be
>>| like an old sweater that I am comfy with. Wait 10 years
>>| and watch as these folks graduate and move into positions
>>| of influence. Its no longer a hard migration issue -- that
>>| generation will be comfy with Linux and it will be the
>>| kind of decision (if not easier) that was made when
>>| corporations moved from OS/2 or DOS to Windows. No need
>>| to train.. What the hell is Windows anyway? I truly
>>| believe that was a big factor that drove our platform; we
>>| were able to get the stuff for almost free. Give it away
>>| to students.."
>> `----
>>
>> http://thebeez.vnunetblogs.com/the_beez_speaks/2006/09/hasta
>> _la_vista__1.html
>
> Interesting take on the plight of MS.  They have delayed
> Vista, which is not good for the health of the company.  Users
> and developers expect products to be delivered when promised.
> Developers particularly expect delivery, because their
> livelihood depends on it.  It does not benefit to invest
> millions of dollars, to have the money spent tied up without
> earning a profit, especially when money was borrowed so
> development could take place.
>
> If what is stated is true, then the code is very difficult to
> maintain, which adds cost.

I have read the entire article and, for all I can tell, everything is true.
There wasn't anything there which I did not already know, having followed
the news closely for about a year. That last quote, on the other hand, was
new to me, even though I read something very similar from other MS
engineers, bloggers, and Mini-Microsoft readers. Some of them stubbornly and
invariantly propose open-sourcing Windows.

> We have seen the flood gates opening and various places in the
> world hear of news being leaked of large Linux and Open Source
> application installments taking place in Government and
> education.  Most deployments have taken place quietly, there
> is an installed base that eventually will come out of the
> woodwork.
>
> I see a new order arising.

>From a national perspective, this seems to have begun with communist
countries, parts of Europe, and lately it was Kerala. Asia and Africa have
the desire, but they need to augment the local Linux skills (for support),
which is something Canonical and Red Hat are helping with.

Speaking of Kerala, I came across a flattering blog item today.

http://nandu-legendinthemaking.blogspot.com/2006/08/see-my-fellow-members-of-internet.html#comments

I noticed that I also have a good spot in the blogroll. *smile* Other people
from India occasionally send me messages because they are fascinated with
the possibilities that Linux presents to poorer areas of the world,
essentially offering quick leverage. Yesteday I was contacted by the SEO of
a software maker in India, who wished to thank me. It's very heartwarming
and it makes me wonder if, in contrary to expectation, OSS will emerge most
quickly through poor countries that challenge giants like Cisco, Microsoft
and SAP (even Google) on their own back yard. The entry barrier is now low.
The skills and desire are definitely there.

Best wishes,